Our recipes page is a great place for everyone to share recipes using items purchased from the Statesboro Market2Go. The above items and photos were made by Justin at Anthony’s Roots and Jimmy at Scratch Made Catering using items available at the market.
Please feel free to enter your own recipe!
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Greek Honey Cake
Source: Becky Larson and the GSU Department of Health and Kinesiology (Entered by Market Manager)
In honor of our Taste of Greece Celebration at the Mainstreet Farmers Market!
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and orange rind. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with milk, mixing just until incorporated. Stir in the walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then cut into diamond shapes. Pour honey syrup over the cake.
- For the honey syrup: In a saucepan, combine honey, 1 cup sugar, and water. Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
Comments added by fellow market members.