Our recipes page is a great place for everyone to share recipes using items purchased from the Statesboro Market2Go. The above items and photos were made by Justin at Anthony’s Roots and Jimmy at Scratch Made Catering using items available at the market.
Please feel free to enter your own recipe!
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Fried Green Tomatoes
Source: Lola Dawson Hayes (Entered by Market Manager)
A Southern classic dish. You need unripe, firm green tomatoes for this, not red tomatoes. Some recipes call for dipping the tomato slices in egg or buttermilk before dredging in the cornmeal.
Also works well for okra and yellow squash.
Step by Step Instructions
- Wash and Slice the green tomatoes into thin slices. (or okra or squash)
- Mix the salt and pepper into the cornmeal and spread on a plate.
- Pour the oil in the skillet, just enough to cover the bottom. Heat to medium.
- Dredge the green tomato slices in the cornmeal, both sides, a few at a time, just before placing in the skillet.
- Place the coated tomato slices in the heated oil. Fry until lightly brown on one side then turn.
- Remove the tomatoes to a plate covered with paper towel to drain the grease and cool.
- Repeat until all are fried. Add more oil as needed to the skillet, usually after each batch.
Comments added by fellow market members.