Our recipes page is a great place for everyone to share recipes using items purchased from the Statesboro Market2Go. The above items and photos were made by Justin at Anthony’s Roots and Jimmy at Scratch Made Catering using items available at the market.
Please feel free to enter your own recipe!
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Wilted Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
Source: Cook's Illustrated (Entered by Ariana Giddens)
Don’t let the name put you off, wilted here refers to a cooking technique in which some of the spinach leaves are softened while others remain crisp rather than to the actual quality of the produce!
Step by Step Instructions
- Place eggs in a medium saucepan, cover with 1 inch of water, and bring to boil over high heat. Remove pan from heat, cover, and let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile fill medium bowl with a quart of ice water and transfer eggs into the cold water using a spoon. Let stand 5 minutes, then peel and quarter eggs lengthwise and set them aside.
- Place the spinach in a large bowl. In a small bowl, stir the vinegar, sugar, pepper, and salt together until the sugar dissolves, then set it aside.
- Fry bacon over medium-high heat and stirring occasionally until it is crisp (should take roughly 10 minutes), then transfer bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Pour bacon fat into a heatproof bowl and return 3 tablespoons of bacon fat to the skillet.
- Add onion to the skillet and cook it over medium heat, stirring it frequently until it is slightly softened (should take about 3 minutes), then stir in the garlic until it is fragrant. Add the vinegar mixture and remove the skillet from the heat (be sure to scrape the bottom of the skillet to loosen any browned bits).
- Pour the contents of the skillet over the spinach, add the bacon, and toss the mixture gently until the spinach is slightly wilted. Plate the salad and add the egg before serving.
Comments added by fellow market members.