Our recipes page is a great place for everyone to share recipes using items purchased from the Statesboro Market2Go. The above items and photos were made by Justin at Anthony’s Roots and Jimmy at Scratch Made Catering using items available at the market.
Please feel free to enter your own recipe!
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Buttermilk Fried Rabbit
Source: https://honest-food.net (Entered by Ariana Giddens)
This tasty recipe uses local meat, dairy, and herbs! Some side suggestions include grits, mashed potatoes, okra, collard greens, broccoli, squash, carrots, or coleslaw. Please consider leaving a picture or comment if you decide to try this recipe!
Step by Step Instructions
- Mix the buttermilk, herbs, paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne powder together. Coat the pieces of rabbit meat with the mixture, put them with the mixture into a covered container in the refrigerator, and leave it be for 4 hours.
- When ready to fry, Pour the oil into a large pan, with the oil at about an inch in depth. Set heat to medium high. Take the rabbit meat out of the buttermilk and let them drain in a colander. (do not attempt to remove the buttermilk coating).
- Pour the flour and salt into a plastic bag and shake it to combine it. Place the pieces of meat into the bag and shake them until they are coated in flour. if you need to work in batches, leave the rabbit in the colander until you are ready to coat and fry it.
- Set the coated pieces you are working with in one layer in the hot oil. Do not let them touch while cooking. Fry them gently, for about 10 minutes on each side, varying slightly depending on size and cut. If you're working in batches place the finished pieces into a warm oven while other coated pieces cook.
- When finished cooking, place the pieces on a rack over a paper towel to absorb any additional oil. Serve with the sauce of your choice and whichever sides you choose.
Comments added by fellow market members.