Our recipes page is a great place for everyone to share recipes using items purchased from the Statesboro Market2Go. The above items and photos were made by Justin at Anthony’s Roots and Jimmy at Scratch Made Catering using items available at the market.
Please feel free to enter your own recipe!
Back to Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings
Rutabaga Nutmeg Cake
Source: veggiedesserts.com (Entered by Ariana Giddens)
Also called Swede Cake, this dessert is a fun way to make use of locally grown rutabagas! Please consider leaving a picture or comment if you decide to try this recipe!
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease & line a 9 inch square cake pan with parchment paper.
- Beat the eggs, sugar, yogurt, oil and vanilla extract together, then stir in the grated rutabaga.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt into the wet ingredients, then gently stir the mixture together.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out the cake onto a wire rack to fully cool.
- TO MAKE THE FROSTING: Put the powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon of milk into a bowl and set aside
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat until it turns brown. Add it to the previous bowl and beat until thick and smooth. Add more tablespoons of milk to the mixture as needed.
- Once the cake has cooled, frost it and top it with chopped nuts before serving.
Comments added by fellow market members.